The CRA knows that most taxpayers, given the proper tools and information, will voluntarily meet their tax obligations.
The following contains information that will help taxpayers understand how to protect themselves against tax schemes, and understand the consequences they might face.
For example, some taxpayers don't realize the financial and personal risks they are exposed to by paying cash for home renovations. And some taxpayers don't know that participating in certain tax shelter schemes to avoid paying taxes could mean not only a loss of their principal, the repayment of taxes owed, and penalties and interest - it could also lead to fines and imprisonment.
Information is the key! Select a link below to find out more.
Aggressive tax planning
Audits and investigations
Complaints and disputes
Debunking tax myths
Learning About Taxes
A course to help you understand the fundamentals of the Canadian tax system and to teach you how to file a basic income tax return.
Sites of interest
- Provinces and Territories (Canada site)
- Provincial/territorial page (tax related sites)
- Canadian Consumer Information Gateway
- Finance Canada
- Service Canada
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
- Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC )
- Reporting Economic Crime Online (RECOL)
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Canada
- Date modified: