How to get information about a charity

There are different ways to get information about a charity. You can:

To get information about registered Canadian amateur athletic associations and other qualified donees, go to Other qualified donees listings.

Contact the charity

If you have questions about a charity, contact them directly. They are in the best position to give you information.

Search for a charity in the Charities Listings

Use the Charities Listings to find out if a charity is registered, revoked, annulled, suspended, or penalized. You can also find a charity’s contact information, general activities, and financial information.

Use the Charities Listings request form to request information for multiple charities such as:

  • geographical information
  • public information from the T3010 return (provided in comma separated values)

Make an informal information request

Informal information requests:

  • are free
  • are handled by the CRA’s Charities Directorate
  • are generally answered sooner than formal requests
  • usually offer the same information as formal requests

The CRA can give you:

  • a copy of a charity’s governing documents, including its statement of purpose
  • a copy of the public portions of a charity’s application for registration and notification of registration, including any conditions or warnings
  • the names of a charity's directors/trustees and when they held the positions
  • a copy of the public information from a charity’s annual information return and financial statements
  • a copy of letters the CRA has sent to a charity about the reasons for revocation or annulment
  • a copy of letters or notices the CRA has sent to a charity about a suspension or an assessment of tax or penalty (other than the amount of revocation tax)
  • a copy of the information filed to support requests for:
    • re-designation as a charitable organization, private foundation, or public foundation
    • designation as an associated charity
    • permission to accumulate property

The CRA cannot give you:

  • information about a charity’s donors
  • confirmation that an application for charitable registration has been received or denied
  • confidential information about a charity’s officials
  • confidential information from a charity’s annual information return
  • information relating to a charity’s dealings with the CRA, such as:
    • whether the charity is being audited
    • the status of an audit
    • the next steps of an audit
    • how and where the CRA gets its leads

To make an informal information request, see Request for registered charity information.

If you are a member of the media, contact a media relations representative.

Make a formal access to information request

Formal requests:

  • may have processing fees
  • are handled by the CRA’s Access to Information and Privacy Directorate with help from the Charities Directorate
  • generally take longer to process than informal requests
  • give you a right of complaint to the offices of the information and privacy commissioners
  • usually offer the same information as informal requests

To make a formal access to information request, go to How to access information at the CRA.

For more information, go to Access to information and privacy at the Canada Revenue Agency.

Related services and information

Date modified: