Individuals - Tax information newsletter, Issue: 2014-01

January 30, 2014

1. Are you a snowbird? Know your Canadian tax obligations

If you spend part of the year in the United States (U.S.), for example, for health reasons or on vacation, and you maintain residential ties in Canada (that is, a home, a spouse or common-law partner, a property), we usually consider you to be a factual resident of Canada.

2. Top ways for students to save at tax time

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has tax credits, deductions, and benefits to help students. All you have to do is file your income tax and benefit return and claim them.

3. Children’s fitness and arts tax credits

The children’s arts tax credit and the children’s fitness tax credit allow you to claim a 15% non-refundable tax credit on an amount up to $500 per child per credit on the fees you’ve paid in 2013 to register a child in a prescribed program of eligible activities. This can give you a credit of up to $75 per child per credit.

4. Life events: What you need to know when your marital status changes

If your marital status changes, it’s important to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know as soon as possible.

5. Video: Children's arts tax credit

You may be able to claim up to $500 per child for the fees paid in 2013 that relate to the cost of registration or membership of a child in a prescribed program of artistic, cultural, recreational, or developmental activity.

6. Video: Children's fitness tax credit

Were your kids in physical activity programs in 2013? The Government of Canada can help you save on your taxes—you can get a non-refundable tax credit of up to 15% of the cost of eligible programs.


To be notified when this newsletter is updated, you can:

Date modified: