EFILE news and program updates
Important dates and changes for the upcoming filing season starting in February 2016
- The EFILE program will be open for transmissions on February 15, 2016, until January 20, 2017, for the electronic filing of your clients' 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 personal income tax and benefit return.
- The System for the Electronic Notification of Debt (SEND) web service has been permanently discontinued and replaced by the new Auto-fill my return service formerly called Tax Data Delivery service.
- Removal of the exclusion related to the disability amount claimed for the taxpayer, or for their spouse or common-law partner and there is no Form T2201, Disability Tax Credit Certificate, on record, or a new Form T2201 is required.
- Removal of the exclusion related to the disability amount for a dependant other than their spouse or common-law partner and this is a first time claim, or a new Form T2201 is required, or the claim is for more than 10 dependants.
- EFILE transmission of 2014 and 2015 T1135 form – Foreign Income Verification Statement will be accepted.
- A service for discounters through the Represent a client online portal, to allow the submission of Form 76, Application and Agreement to Obtain a Discounter Code/Discounter Direct Deposit Enrolment and any additional supporting documents for the review of the discounting transactions when requested.
October 24, 2016
Electronic Services - 2017 Program
Thank you for using the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) electronic services!
Did you know that the collaborative efforts of EFILERs and the CRA accounted for 56% of T1 returns filed in Canada last year?
We are proud to work with you to continue to build on this success story, and are grateful for your hard work and dedication as we embark on another filing season.
To maintain your access for the coming year, including receiving emails from the CRA, you must renew your participation online. This will allow you to use the following electronic services:
- Corporation Internet Filing
- T1135 transmission web service
- T1013 transmission web service
- Client Data Enquiry (CDE)
- Auto-fill my return service
- Online Mail
If you renew between October 24, 2016 and January 20, 2017
- Update your tax preparation software with your newly assigned password to continue transmitting T1013 and T1135 forms, file T2 returns, and transmit 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 T1 returns, even though your EFILE Helpdesk may not have fully completed the suitability screening process.
- Any transactions during this time period will fail if your software has not been updated with your newly assigned password.
If you DO NOT renew your account between October 24, 2016 and January 20, 2017
- Continue to use your current password to transmit T1013 and T1135 forms, transmit T2 returns, and transmit 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 T1 returns until January 20, 2017 when we stop accepting T1 transmissions temporarily to convert our systems for the next filing season.
- To continue to transmit T1013 forms, transmit T1135 forms and file T2 returns after January 20, 2017, you will need to have renewed your EFILE account, passed suitability screening, and updated your tax preparation software with your newly assigned password.
As an electronic filer, you have to comply with the electronic filing procedures that are available at cra.gc.ca/efile. Please familiarize yourself with the information on these pages before using EFILE.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You have to complete a T183 form for each T1 return you transmit.
As you know, the CRA conducts a suitability screening process each year before prospective and existing electronic filing applicants are permitted to electronically file income tax returns on behalf of their clients. This process may take up to 30 days. Please submit your application or renewal as early as possible to avoid unnecessary delays.
How to renew
- Make an online request at cra.gc.ca/efile.
- Click on the "EFILE Login" button located in the right side menu bar
- To log on, you will need your current EFILE number and password.
- Seconds after submitting your online renewal request, it will be validated and you will receive a confirmation page.
- The confirmation will include your new password and the EFILE Helpdesk responsible for your file.
- Once your renewal request has undergone the suitability screening process, you will receive an email or letter to advise you of the result.
You only need one EFILE number to file all your clients' income tax returns. Only tax preparation businesses that operate more than one location are required to have multiple EFILE numbers.
If you operate more than one location, remember to complete a separate renewal request for each EFILE number.
Lost your EFILE number or password?
- Please DO NOT file a new application using the "Register for EFILE" link.
- Simply contact your EFILE Helpdesk for assistance.
- If you are also a discounter, you do not need to renew your discounter code.
- A revised application Form RC76 is required when information previously provided on Form RC75, Form RC76, or Form RC115 has changed.
- Consult the CRA EFILE webpages for answers to your most frequently asked questions.
- If the answer is not available on our webpages, call your EFILE Helpdesk.
October 20, 2016
Important information and service interruptions for annual conversion
Prior to opening for the upcoming program, the Canada Revenue Agency's EFILER Information System will undergo its annual conversion process.
The following services will be temporarily unavailable from Friday, October 21 at 8:00 p.m. eastern (Ottawa) time until Monday, October 24 at 8:30 a.m. eastern (Ottawa) time:
- Transmission of T1 and T2 returns
- EFILE Online services (Register for EFILE, Yearly renewals, Account maintenance activities and Transmission history)
T1135 transmission web service
The following services will be temporarily unavailable from Friday, October 21 at 8:00 p.m. eastern (Ottawa) time until Monday, October 24 at 6:00 a.m. eastern (Ottawa) time:
- T1013 transmission web service
- Client Data Enquiry service (CDE)
Auto-fill my return service (AFR)
On October 24, 2016, you will receive a Lyris message inviting you to renew your participation for the 2017 EFILE program.
- Date modified: