Apply for EFILE
- Apply for EFILE
- Certified software
- File returns
Your online EFILE account
Use your EFILE number and password to:
- Maintain your account
- Renew your account
- View transmission history
Guides and help
- How can I apply?
- Issuance of EFILE number and password
- When should I apply?
- Why does it take 30 days?
To participate in the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), you must first register as a volunteer with the CVITP at cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/vlntr/menu-eng.html. If you intend on transmitting returns by EFILE under the CVITP, you must also apply for an EFILE number.
How can I apply?
Your first step in becoming an electronic filer is to complete the EFILE Registration Online form. This is a one-time application, but in some situations you will have to submit revised information. Successful applicants will also be required to renew their application on a yearly basis.
The online application is designed primarily for those operating a tax preparation business. However, individuals may also apply to become electronic filers. Individuals, who are not operating a business, should provide their full legal name in the "Name of proprietorship, partnership, or corporation" field and they should also select "Proprietorship" in the "Business Type" field, when completing the online application.
All applications must be made online.
There is no fee for processing your application.
Note: Electronic filing of T1 returns requires the use of a certified software product.
Issuance of EFILE number and password
The system will verify the submitted information and will generate error messages, if necessary. For example, if you forget to complete a mandatory field, such as the "Name of the proprietorship, partnership or corporation", there will be a message advising you of the error. Make any required corrections and resubmit the online form. Once the application has been accepted, the system will display a confirmation page similar to the sample below. The confirmation page will contain your EFILE number and password.
EFILE registration – confirmation and password
Date/Time: 2016/09/20 10:37:13 AM
Your access will be restricted to account maintenance activities until suitability screening has been completed. Processing of your application may take up to 30 days. We will notify you when we have completed the suitability screening.
EFILE number: Z0000
Name: CCCC CCCCCC
Business Name: 2016 OCT TEST
Email address: AAAAAAAAA@AAAA.COM
- Contact the Shawinigan EFILE Helpdesk at 1-800-265-6201, should you have any questions.
- Check out the What's New page on the CRA's EFILE Web site at cra.gc.ca/efile for important information, updates and links to resources available to you.
- Important messages are regularly communicated to inform you of any system changes, maintenance schedules, filing deadlines, suitability screening status, and significant issues from other areas within the agency.
- Check your email programs to ensure that filters, junk mailboxes, firewalls, etc. are not configured such that they prevent you from receiving the tax messages. This occurs when your computer identifies the incoming emails from EFILE-TED "firstname.lastname@example.org" as spam and dumps them into a junk folder.
- Form T183, Information Return for Electronic Filing of an Individual's Income Tax and Benefit Return must be completed and signed by the taxpayer prior to transmission of the return.
- Print this page and keep it with your records. Your EFILE number and password are needed to use the electronic filing services and to renew your EFILE participation online next filing season. Remember, your password is confidential and must remain protected.
When should I apply?
Although you will be issued an EFILE number and password as soon as you apply, your application may take up to 30 days to process. To give us enough time to review your application before the filing season starts, we encourage you to file your application before December 31. If we cannot process your application within this 30-day time frame, we will notify you.
Why does it take 30 days?
We must complete suitability screening of all new and existing applicants for EFILE.
While this activity is being carried out, you will be limited to performing EFILE Account Maintenance activities only.
When we have completed the screening and if you have successfully met the criteria, we will notify you by email. If you have not successfully met the criteria, we will notify you by mail explaining the reason(s).
- Date modified: