Get ready to file your 2015 income tax return
Receive your notices of assessment and reassessment online in My Account.
Video: Filing online—fast, easy, and secure
- Gather all your income tax information, such as T4 and T5 slips, receipts, and a copy of last year's return for reference. You can get some of your tax information through My Account. Be sure to also check out our new and enhanced services, which can help you file your return, receive your refund faster or make a payment.
- Discover all the credits and benefits you may be eligible for. These include various child and family benefits.
- File your return. Using certified tax software to transmit your return is fast, easy, and secure. If you are registered for My Account, you can use the new Auto-fill my return service to automatically fill in parts of your income tax and benefit return, making the online filing process even simpler. You can also file by completing a paper return. Tax packages will be available at all Canada Post outlets and Service Canada offices starting February 1, 2016.
- Send your return. You can send your return electronically from within the certified tax software or by mail to a CRA Tax Centre.
- Make your payment or receive your refund.
Also, this year, why not sign up for online mail, and start getting your mail from the CRA online in My Account. It’s the fast, easy and secure way to manage your tax correspondence.
April 30: Returns due for individuals. Most Canadian income tax and benefit returns for 2015 are due on April 30, 2016. However, as this date is a Saturday, the CRA will consider your return as filed on time and your payment to be made on time if the CRA receives your submission or it is postmarked by midnight on May 2, 2016.
June 15: Returns due for self-employed workers and their spouses or common-law partners. However, if you have a balance owing for 2015, you still have to pay it on or before April 30, 2016. As this date is a Saturday, the CRA will consider your payment as received on time if it is postmarked by midnight on May 2, 2016.
If you have to pay tax for 2015, you must file an income tax and benefit return. If you have no income to report, you should still file a return. You may be eligible for certain benefits.
File on time even if some slips or receipts are missing. If you are missing information, use any documents you have and enter estimated amounts.
Last year, 82% of individuals filed their tax returns online. When you file online, it can lead to faster refunds when combined with direct deposit.
Auto-fill my return
Use our new service to automatically fill in parts of your income tax and benefit return, making the online filing process even simpler.
MyCRA mobile app
Check your tax and benefit information with the MyCRA mobile app!
How do I make a payment?
Making tax payments has never been easier. When you pay online, you can make your payment anytime, from anywhere.
- Date modified: