File your taxes online for free
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Did you know?
You can file your taxes online for free. Many people think that filing online costs money because it requires the use of certified tax preparation software. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a list of certified software packages and web applications to fit all budgets, including options that are free.
- The CRA has made filing online even easier. You no longer need a web access code to file your return. Instead, all you need is your social insurance number and date of birth.
- Tax returns filed online must first be prepared using CRA-certified tax preparation software or Web application. For a list of those available, including free options, go to www.netfile.gc.ca/software.
- Before filing online, your information, including your address, must be up to date. You can change your information online prior to filing your return by using My Account .
Why file online?
Filing online is easy. CRA-certified software and Web applications guide you through the process, do all the calculations for you, and ensure you don’t miss out on credits and benefits for which you may be eligible.
And when you file your return online, you will receive your refund faster. When you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you may receive your refund in as little as eight days! For information on how to request direct deposit, go to www.cra.gc.ca/directdeposit.
More than 65% of the returns received by the CRA are now filed electronically. Join the majority of Canadians who are already enjoying the benefits of online filing!
Is it safe?
Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security used by Canadian financial institutions.
For more information
For more information about filing online, go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and let us walk you through it step by step.
To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader
You can also visit our YouTube Channel for tax-related videos.
- Date modified: