Paying your tax by instalments
Did you know…?
You may have to pay tax by instalments if you earn income for more than one year from which no tax was withheld. You may also have to pay tax by instalments if not enough tax was withheld. This can happen if you earn rental, investment, or self-employment income, certain pension payments, or income from more than one job.
What are instalments?
- Instalments are quarterly income tax payments that some individuals have to pay to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on or before March 15, June 15, September 15, and December 15.
- Instalments are made regularly through the calendar year as income is being earned. This is similar to when employees have taxes withheld from their pay.
- You may have to pay interest and possibly penalties if your instalment payments are late or less than the required amount.
Who pays income tax by instalment?
You have to pay your income tax by instalments for 2013 if your net tax owing (the amount you owe on your income tax and benefit return) is more than $3,000*:
- in 2013; and
- in either 2012 or 2011.
*Use a limit of $1,800 instead for any year you lived in Quebec on December 31.
Farmers and fishers – If you meet the above criteria, but your main source of income in 2013 is self-employment income from farming or fishing, you pay only one instalment payment by December 31st.
Making instalment payments
- For more information about paying by instalment, go to www.cra.gc.ca/instalments or consult Pamphlet P110, Paying your income tax by instalments.
- To find out how much you need to pay each quarter, you can view your instalment reminders online using the CRA’s online My Account service. To access or sign up, go to www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount.
- You can make your payment using your financial institution’s online or telephone banking services. For other options, go to www.cra.gc.ca/payments.
- If you are an employee or pensioner, you can reduce the amount of your instalment payments, or eliminate them, if you reduce your net tax owing. You can do this by having tax withheld, or by increasing the amount of tax withheld, by your employer or pension administrator. For more information, go to www.cra.gc.ca/deductmore.
Let the CRA remind you by email when your payment is due
To receive an email each quarter reminding you of your payment due date, sign up for the Individuals - Quarterly instalment payment reminder electronic mailing list. Go to www.cra.gc.ca/lists.
To receive updates when new information is added to our Web site, you can:
- Follow the CRA on Twitter - @CanRevAgency.
- Subscribe to a CRA electronic mailing list.
- Add our RSS feeds to your feed reader.
You can also watch our tax-related videos on YouTube.
- Date modified: