Submit documents online
Secure. Efficient. Reliable.
When you scan and send documents to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online, it’s secure and reliable, and it makes sending documents to the CRA easier and more efficient. You can keep your originals because you’ll get a confirmation number and a reference number to use in future communications with the CRA.
What is it?
The CRA lets taxpayers or their authorized representatives and discounters to send supporting documents in a secure online environment to validate information provided on their tax returns or in their claims for benefits.
The information below will help you or your authorized representative take the steps needed to submit documents online through one of the CRA’s secure online service portals.
Before submitting documents online, make sure you meet the following requirements:
- You are registered for one of the CRA’s secure online service portals (My Account, My Business Account, or Represent a Client). Your authorized representative is able (if required) to submit documents for you.
- Your files are saved in a format that the CRA can accept.
- Common allowable file formats are: .pdf, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .rtf, .txt, .jpg, .jpeg, .tiff, .tif, .xps.
- If more than one file is being uploaded, each must have a unique name.
- The total size of your submission does not exceed 150MB.
Submitting documents online with or without a case or reference number
- If you have a case or reference number and have been asked to submit documents by a CRA official either by mail, by phone, or in person use that number to submit the relevant documents.
- If you are submitting additional documents to support a previous submission, use the case or reference number that was provided to you for that submission.
- If you do not have a case or reference number, the service will allow you to submit documents for specific programs.
- Log in to the appropriate portal:
- Select "Submit documents" and follow the instructions using your case or reference number, or
- Select the link “I do not have a case or reference number” and select the applicable task from the list.
- If the task you wish to complete is not included on the picklist, send your documents by mail to your tax centre.
After documents are submitted
- When your documents are successfully submitted, you will receive a confirmation number and a reference number. Make sure to take note of these numbers and keep them in a safe place for future reference.
- Should you have additional documents to include that relate to the first submission, you can include them at any time using the case/reference number.
- Keep track of the version of the documents that you sent to the CRA.
- If you have technical problems submitting documents online, contact the appropriate e-Services Helpdesk for assistance:
- If you have questions about a CRA request to submit documents, contact the CRA official who requested the documents.
- Date modified: