Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS) annual return
Filing the return
Ontario corporations and foreign business corporations licensed to carry on business in Ontario must file an Ontario Corporations Information Act Annual Return with the CRA within six months of the end of the tax year as follows:
- Every corporation that is incorporated, continued, or amalgamated in Ontario and subject to the Business Corporations Act or the Corporations Act, except for registered charities under the federal Income Tax Act, must file Schedule 546, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Ontario Corporations.
- Every business corporation that is incorporated, continued, or amalgamated in a jurisdiction outside Canada with a licence under the Extra-Provincial Corporations Act to carry on business in Ontario must file Schedule 548, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Foreign Business Corporations.
The original amalgamating corporations that have since amalgamated and continued as one amalgamated corporation are not required to file a Corporations Information Act Annual Return. The MGCS cannot accept requests to update the corporate record for these corporations. The corporation resulting from the amalgamation has to file a Corporations Information Act Annual Return at the appropriate time.
File the completed Schedule 546 or 548 together with your T2 return. If you have to file more than one tax return in a calendar year, file the annual return only with the first tax return.
Corporations that have to file Schedule 546 have the option of filing electronically with one of the service providers under contract with the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS) instead of filing it with the T2 return.
The CRA will transmit the information to the MGCS. The MGCS is responsible for maintaining a public database of corporate information. It is the corporation's responsibility to ensure that the information on the public record is accurate and up-to-date.
Changing director/officer information
To report changes to the name of a director/officer or changes to both the address and date elected/appointed of a director/officer, complete two copies of Part 7 of Schedule 546 as follows:
- enter the director/officer information exactly as shown (incorrectly) on the public record with a cease date; and
- photocopy and complete only Part 7 of Schedule 546 with the correct director/officer information.
Forms and publications
- Schedule 546, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Ontario Corporations
- Schedule 548, Corporations Information Act Annual Return for Foreign Business Corporations
- Date modified: