Teaching Taxes is designed to teach the basics of taxation and promote financial literacy. It uses pedagogical approaches that promote and develop critical thinking.
The learning material consists of 180 minutes of in-class instruction and student exercises. It covers the following topics:
- History of taxes in the world
- Canada's tax system and the Taxpayer Bill of Rights
- Types of taxes
- Tax obligations of a new employee
- Completing a simple income tax and benefit return
For a sample of the learning material, go to Teaching Taxes sample content.
Benefits of the program
- It is flexible and easy to teach.
- Students will understand why they pay taxes and how these taxes are used.
- Students will learn about their rights and responsibilities as a taxpayer.
- Students will gain the real-life skill of completing an income tax and benefit return.
Here are some comments we have received from educators across the country:
- Alberta - I have used this program for a number of years and I love it. So do my students.
- British Columbia - I have been using Teaching Taxes in Planning 10 and Accounting 11 and 12 for years now. A great service.
- New Brunswick - This program is a great way to help students learn how to do their tax returns by themselves. It is a valuable skill that more students need to learn about.
- Nova Scotia - Love the program - it is so beneficial to students about to head off to university and/or enter the workforce.
- Ontario - Thank you for providing educators with such an invaluable resource to teach young Canadians the importance of filing income tax.
- Quebec - A fellow teacher told me about it years ago and I have been using it ever since.
How much does it cost?
The learning material is free of charge.
Ordering the learning materials
The 2013 teacher's manual is offered in electronic format only. The 2013 student workbook is offered in both printed and electronic format.
The printed format is available to educators only and will not be mailed out for personal use, or to businesses. Allow three to four weeks for delivery. Orders placed in December will be filled in mid-January.
- Order electronic learning material
Download the teacher's manual and student workbook.
- Order printed learning material
Order a printed copy of the student workbook.
For more information
For more information about Teaching Taxes, see Contacting the Educators program.
- Date modified: