Teaching Taxes – Program information
Introduces high school and post-secondary students to Canada's tax system and teaches them how to prepare a simple income tax and benefit return.
A manual is provided which is divided into the following sections:
- History of taxes in the world
- Canada's tax system and the Taxpayer Bill of Rights
- Types of taxes
- Tax obligations of a new employee
- Income tax and benefit return
- Student exercises for different tax scenarios
- Solutions to the exercises
For a sample of the learning material, go to Teaching Taxes - Sample content.
Benefits of the program
- It provides students with lifetime skills allowing them to deal effectively with taxation issues throughout their lives.
- It teaches students about our tax system.
- It teaches students how to complete a simple tax return.
Here are some comments we have received from educators across the country:
- Alberta - I have used this program for a number of years and I love it. So do my students.
- British Columbia - I have been using Teaching Taxes in Planning 10 and Accounting 11 and 12 for years now. A great service.
- New Brunswick - This program is a great way to help students learn how to do their tax returns by themselves. It is a valuable skill that more students need to learn about.
- Nova Scotia - Love the program - it is so beneficial to students about to head off to university and/or enter the workforce.
- Ontario - Thank you for providing educators with such an invaluable resource to teach young Canadians the importance of filing income tax.
- Quebec - A fellow teacher told me about it years ago and I have been using it ever since.
How much does it cost?
The learning material is free of charge.
How much time is required?
You will need approximately 180 minutes for in-class instruction and student exercises.
Ordering the learning materials
- The manual is available for order by educators only. It will not be mailed out for personal use or to businesses.
- The 2012 manual is also available for download.
Allow three to four weeks for delivery. Orders placed in December will be mailed in mid-January.
For more information
For more information about Teaching Taxes, see Contacting the Educators program.
- Date modified: