What if the deceased was receiving the CCTB, UCCB and/or CCB?

Contact us at 1-800-387-1193 and let us know the date of death. If the deceased person was receiving CCTB, UCCB, and/or beginning in July of 2016, CCB payments for a child and the surviving spouse or common-law partner is the child's parent, we will usually transfer the CCTB, UCCB and/or CCB payments to that person.

If anyone else, other than the parent, is now primarily responsible for the child, that person will have to apply for benefit payments for the child by:


If the deceased was receiving payments under provincial or territorial child benefit and credit programs administered by the CRA, there is no need to apply separately to qualify. We will use the information from the application to determine the new caregiver's eligibility for these programs.

What if the deceased's spouse or common-law partner receives the CCB?

If you are the surviving spouse or common-law partner and you receive CCB payments for a child, contact us at
1-800-387-1193 to provide us with the date of death, and we will automatically recalculate the payments excluding the deceased person's net income.

What if the deceased is an eligible child?

Your entitlement to CCTB, UCCB and/or CCB payments stops the month after the child's date of death. You should notify us of the date of death so that we can update our records.

Forms and publications

Related topics

Date modified: