On the final return, report all of the deceased's income from January 1 of the year of death, up to and including the date of death. Report income earned after the date of death on a T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return. To find out what income to report on the T3 return, see Chart 2. For more information, see the T4013, T3 - Trust Guide.
Signing the return
As the legal representative for the deceased, you have to sign the return in the area provided on the last page of the return. Sign your name and indicate your title (for example, executor or administrator).
Forms and publications
- Information Sheet RC4111, Canada Revenue Agency - What to Do Following a Death
- Guide T4011, Preparing Returns for Deceased Persons
- T4013, T3 - Trust Guide
- T3 Trust Income Tax and Information Return
- Optional returns
- Common types of income for a final return
- Death of an RRSP annuitant
- Death of an RRIF annuitant
- Date modified: