How to start direct deposit or change your information

You can have the following amounts deposited directly into your account at a financial institution in Canada:

  • your income tax refund, goods and services tax/harmonised sales tax (GST/HST) credit including any related provincial payments, working income tax benefit (WITB) advance payments, and any other deemed overpayment of tax to which you are entitled or to which you may become entitled;
  • your Canada child tax benefit (CCTB) payments including certain related provincial or territorial programs; and
  • your universal child care benefit (UCCB) payments.

Your direct deposit request will stay in effect until you change the information or cancel the service.


If you move, let us know your new address as soon as possible. Otherwise, your payments may stop, whether you receive them by cheque or direct deposit.

If you are changing any bank account held in Canada into which we deposit a payment, be sure to tell us about your new bank account. In addition, do not close the old bank account before we deposit the payment into the new bank account.

If your financial institution in Canada notifies us of a change in your banking information, we will deposit your payments into the new bank account.

If, for any reason, we cannot deposit your payment into the bank account held in Canada, we will mail a cheque to you at the mailing address we have on file.

You can also request direct deposit for the following payments from Service Canada:

By Internet

You can view, start, change or stop your direct deposit information by using My Account.

By mail

With your income tax and benefit return: To start direct deposit or to change information you have already given us, complete the "Direct deposit - Start or change" section on page 4 of your return.

At any other time: If you would like to start direct deposit, or to change information you have already given us, complete a Direct Deposit Enrolment Form and send it to the mailing address provided on the form.

By phone

You can call 1-800-959-8281 if you need help to complete the direct deposit information, start or cancel the direct deposit service, change your banking information, or to arrange for additional payments to be deposited into an existing direct deposit account.

Date modified: