How to make your payment

You can make your payment in one of the following ways.

My Payment

My Payment is a payment option that allows individuals and businesses to make payments online, using CRA's Web site, from an account at a participating Canadian financial institution.


You may be able to pay electronically using your financial institution's Internet or telephone banking services. Most financial institutions allow you to schedule future-dated payments. For more information, contact your financial institution.

At your financial institution

You can make your payment free of charge at your financial institution in Canada. To do so, you have to use a remittance form or Form T7DR(A), Efile Remit tance Form, which you can get by contacting us or by making a request at My Account or Quick Access (available February 2013).

You cannot use a photocopy of a remittance form to make a payment at your financial institution. Our remittance forms are printed with magnetic ink characters to allow for processing through the banking system. Photocopies do not contain magnetic ink and are refused by financial institutions.

By cheque or money order

You can attach to the front of your paper return a cheque or money order made out to the Receiver General. Enter your payment amount on line 486. To help us process your payment correctly, write your social insurance number on the back of your cheque or money order.

You can send us a cheque or money order with a remittance form or Form T7DR(A) , which you can get by contacting us or by making a request at My Account or Quick Access (available February 2013). Mail the form and your cheque or money order to:

Canada Revenue Agency,
875 Heron Road,
Ottawa ON K1A 1B1.


Do not mail us cash or include it with your return.

We accept post-dated cheques.

If you make a payment with a cheque that your financial instititution does not honour (including a cheque on which you put a "stop-payment"), we will charge you a fee.

Paying in foreign funds

You can make your payments in foreign funds. However, the exchange rate you receive for converting the payment to Canadian dollars is determined by the financial institution processing your payment.

Payments over $25 million

The Canadian Payments Association sets a maximum of $25 million for any cheque or other paper-based payment instrument cleared through the banking system. Canadian financial institutions will not accept cheques in excess of this amount that you drop off or mail to the CRA. You must make arrangements with your financial institution when paying amounts of $25 million or more.

Wire transfers

This payment method is only available to non-residents who do not hold a Canadian bank account. For more information, see Wire transfers.

Forms and publications

Date modified: