Line 301 - Age amount
Claim this amount if you were 65 years of age or older on December 31, 2016, and your net income (line 236 of your return) is less than $83,427.
If your net income was:
- $35,927 or less, claim $7,125 on line 301 of Schedule 1, Federal Tax; or
- more than $35,927, but less than $83,427, complete the chart for line 301 on the Federal Worksheet to calculate your claim.
Enter your date of birth in the "Information about you" area on page 1 of your return.
Remember to claim the corresponding provincial or territorial non-refundable tax credit to which you are entitled, on line 5808 of your provincial or territorial Form 428.
Special rules apply to claims for this amount if you were bankrupt during the tax year (see the section on bankruptcy in Interpretation Bulletin IT-513, Personal Tax Credits) or if you immigrate to or emigrate from Canada in the tax year. For information about these rules, contact the CRA.
You may be able to transfer all or part of your age amount to your spouse or common-law partner or to claim all or part of his or her age amount. For more information, go to Line 326 - Amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner.
Forms and publications
- General Income Tax and Benefit Package - Guide, Returns, and Schedules
- Pamphlet T4055, Newcomers to Canada
- Interpretation Bulletin IT-513, Personal Tax Credits
- Date modified: