Education amount

You will have received a tax certificate from your educational institution (see types of institutions page) indicating the number of months you were enrolled full-time (Box C) or part-time (Box B).

Full-time – Box C

Multiply $400 times the number of months indicated in Box C.

You can also claim the full-time amount if one of following applies to you:

  • you were enrolled part-time and you can claim the disability amount; or
  • you were enrolled part-time and you had a mental or physical impairment certified in a letter by a medical doctor, optometrist, audiologist, occupational therapist, psychologist, physiotherapist, or speech-language pathologist but you do not qualify for the disability amount.

Part-time – Box B

Multiply $120 times the number of months indicated in Box B.

You cannot claim the education amount if you:

  • received a grant or were reimbursed for the cost of your courses by your employer or another person with who you deal at arm's length;
  • received a benefit as part of a program (such as free meals and lodging from a nursing school); or
  • received an allowance for a program such as a training allowance.


If you were 16 at the end of the year, you can claim the education and textbook amount only for courses you took at the post-secondary level (see types of institutions on the Eligible tuition fees page), except in the case of courses provided by educational institutions certified by the Minister of Employment and Social Development Canada that furnish a person with skills for, or improve a person's skills in, an occupation (other than courses designed for university credit).

A grant, reimbursement, benefit, or allowance does not include any scholarship, fellowship, bursary, or prize you received, or any benefit you received under the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, Canada Student Loans Act, or an Act respecting financial assistance for education expenses of the Province of Quebec.

These amounts also do not include any financial assistance provided under Part II of the Employment Insurance Act (as shown in box 20 of your T4E slip), a labour-market development agreement as part of a similar provincial or territorial program, or a program developed under the authority of the Department of Employment and Social Development Act.

A post-secondary program that consists mainly of research is eligible for the education amount, and the scholarship exemption, only if it leads to a college or CEGEP diploma, or a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree (or an equivalent degree). Accordingly, post-doctoral fellowships will continue to be taxable.

Completing your tax return

Supporting documents - If you are filing a paper return, attach a completed Schedule 11. Keep all your official receipts issued by an educational institution or other forms in case we ask to see them. If you are filing electronically, keep all of your documents in case we ask to see them. For more information, please consult E-services for individuals.

Forms and publications

Related topics

Date modified: