Line 115 - United States Social Security
Report the full amount, in Canadian dollars, of your U.S. Social Security benefits and any U.S. Medicare premiums paid on your behalf. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate that was in effect on the day you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual exchange rate. The average monthly rate as well as the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada Web site.
Do not report benefits paid for your children. This is their income even if you received the payments.
You can claim a deduction for part of this income on line 256.
You may be able to claim the pension income amount on line 314.
Completing your tax return
Enter on line 115 the gross amount of U.S. Social Security benefits you received for yourself (in Canadian dollars).
Forms and publications
- General Income Tax and Benefit Package - Guide, return and schedules
- Pamphlet P119, When You Retire
- IT-517, Pension Tax Credit
- Line 256 - Additional deductions
- Line 314 - Pension income amount
- Federal foreign tax credit
- Provincial or territorial foreign tax credit
- Tax treaties
- Date modified: