Line 115 - Other pensions or superannuation
Most pensions and superannuation are part of your total income and must be reported.
Payments from a pension or superannuation plan are usually shown on these slips:
- T4A, Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
- T3, Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations
You may receive other pensions such as:
- Annuity and registered retirement income fund (RRIF), including life income fund, payments
- Pensions from a foreign country
- United States individual retirement arrangement (IRA)
- United States Social Security
You may be able to claim the pension income amount depending on the type of pension, superannuation, annuity, and RRIF payments you received. See line 314.
You may also be able to jointly elect with your spouse or common-law partner to split your pension, superannuation, annuity, RRIF (including life income fund) and SPP payments that you reported on line 115 if both of the following apply:
- you were both residents of Canada on December 31, 2012 (or were residents of Canada on the date of death); and
- you and your spouse or common-law partner were not, because of a breakdown in your marriage or common-law relationship, living separate and apart from each other at the end of the year and for a period of 90 days commencing in the year.
To make this election, you and your spouse or common law partner must complete Form T1032, Joint Election to Split Pension Income.
If you elected to split your pension, superannuation, annuity, RRIF (including life income fund) payments, and SPP payments with your spouse or common-law partner, you (the pensioner) must still report the full amount on line 115, but you can claim a deduction for the elected split-pension amount. See line 210.
If you receive a lump-sum payment, see line 130.
Completing your tax return
Enter on line 115 the amount shown in box 016 of your T4A slips.
Enter on line 115 the amount shown in box 31 of your T3 slips.
You may have to report on this line other amounts you received. See "other pensions" above.
Forms and publications
- General Income Tax and Benefit Package - Guide, return and schedules
- Pamphlet P119, When You Retire
- IT-397, Amounts Excluded from Income - Statutory Exemptions and Certain Service or RCMP Pensions, Allowances and Compensation
- IT-499, Superannuation or Pension Benefits
- IT-517, Pension Tax Credit
- Form T1032, Joint Election to Split Pension Income
- Line 130 - Other income
- Line 210 - Deduction for elected split-pension amount
- Line 314 - Pension income amount
- Line 437 - Total income tax deducted
- Date modified: