Lend a hand! Individuals
Volunteer at a tax preparation clinic
Do you want to help people in your community? Volunteer with a community organization participating in the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), to complete income tax and benefit returns for eligible individuals.
How to volunteer
If you volunteer through this program, you will receive training but you should have some knowledge of income tax.
To volunteer with CVITP, each year you must:
- Complete the online volunteer registration form.
The registration form can be completed between mid-October and April 30. On the form, state which community organization you will work with.
If you do not already volunteer with a participating organization, indicate this on the form. A Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) coordinator will contact you to help you find an organization in your area.
- Register for EFILE or provide a police records check.
If you file tax returns electronically, you must get individual EFILE certification. EFILE is an automated service that allows authorized providers to electronically file tax returns to the CRA directly from tax preparation software. When you apply for an EFILE account, the CRA will assess if you meet suitability screening criteria.
If you prepare paper returns or perform other duties, such as pre-screening taxpayers, you may have to get a police records check from your police department.
How to register or renew your EFILE account
Register or renew your EFILE account at EFILE for Electronic Filers.
- Your application may take up to 30 days to process.
- Record your EFILE number and password.
- You will be notified by email or letter when you are approved to use the EFILE service.
Are you an accountant or professional tax preparer?
If you are an accountant or professional tax preparer, you must keep separate and distinct lines between your business clients and CVITP clients:
- you must get a different EFILE number to use as a CVITP volunteer
- you cannot use your CVITP EFILE number for your business
- Date modified: