Need a hand to complete your tax return?
On this page:
Do you need help completing your tax return? You may be able to get help at a free tax preparation clinic near you.
Community organizations across Canada host tax clinics where volunteers complete tax returns for eligible individuals. These tax clinics are offered through the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program.
Are you eligible for help?
You may be eligible if you have a modest income and a simple tax situation.
Your total family income should be less than the amount shown in the chart. Check with your community organization as some organizations have different requirements.
|Family size||Total family income|
|One person with one dependant||$35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependant)|
|Couple||$40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependant)|
Simple tax situation
In general, your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as CPP, disability, CCB, EI, social assistance
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (under $1,000)
Your tax situation is not simple if you:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business or rental income and expenses
- have capital gains or losses
- file for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
Find a tax preparation clinic
Find a tax preparation clinic in your area.
- Video series: What's in it for me? – For students
- Video series: Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return
- Video series: Canadian Students and Income Tax
- Video series: Newcomers to Canada and the Canadian Tax System
- Date modified: