Info sheet for CVITP volunteers
Welcome to the volunteer team!
Thank you for joining the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
- how the CVITP operates
- taxpayers eligible for the CVITP
- how to install the tax software
- how to set up your tax program to use EFILE
- securing taxpayer information
- preparing an income tax and benefit return
- how to file a return using EFILE
You must get proof of identity from the taxpayer before you complete their return. Proof of identity should:
- be valid
- be government issued
include a photo
Examples of identification include:
- provincial or territorial (or equivalent abroad) driver's license or photo identification
- Canadian or foreign passport
- Certificate of Indian Status
- military or other government employee identification card
Complete Form TIS60, Taxpayer Authorization
- Before you prepare a return you must get the taxpayer to complete and sign Section I.
- If the taxpayer wants you to file their return electronically, both you and the taxpayer must complete Section II.
- Give the completed Form TIS60 to the taxpayer for their records.
- Do not tell the taxpayer to send Form TIS60 to the CRA.
- Do not keep a copy of Form TIS60 or send it to your CRA coordinator.
Record the number of returns you prepare
- Record the number of returns you prepare as a CVITP volunteer. You can use Form T1176, Statistical Summary.
- Advise your community organization of the number of returns you prepared before May 15.
CVITP dedicated line
From February to April, the Canada Revenue Agency offers a dedicated line for community organizations and volunteers participating in the CVITP. Agents will answer questions about individual income tax, EFILE and EFILE error code messages, and the tax preparation software.
Support for software and EFILE
CVITP guides and forms
- Guide TIS5, Volunteer Handbook (PDF)
- Guide RC266, A Guide for Community Organizations (PDF)
- Guide RC4018, Electronic Filers Manual
- Form TIS60, Taxpayer Authorization
- Form RC320, Application for a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program Computer
- Form T1176, Statistical Summary
- Form T1260, Income Tax and Benefit Return Summary
- Form T1217, Volunteer Training Evaluation
- Aboriginal peoples
- Child and family benefits
- Newcomers to Canada (immigrants)
- Protect yourself against fraud
- Provincial and territorial programs
- Tax credits and deductions for persons with disabilities
- Video series: Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return
For more information
- Direct deposit
- Forms and publications
- General Income Tax and Benefit Guide
- Get ready to file your income tax return
- Video gallery
- Date modified: