Info sheet for CVITP volunteers
Welcome to the volunteer team!
Thank you for joining the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP).
- how the CVITP operates
- taxpayers eligible for the CVITP
- how to install the tax software
- how to set up your tax program to use EFILE
- securing taxpayer information
- preparing an income tax and benefit return
- how to file a return using EFILE
You must get proof of identity from the taxpayer before you complete their return. Proof of identity should:
- be valid
- be government issued
include a photo
Examples of identification include:
- provincial or territorial (or equivalent abroad) driver's license or photo identification
- Canadian or foreign passport
- Certificate of Indian Status
- military or other government employee identification card
Complete Form TIS60, Taxpayer Authorization
- Before you prepare a return you must get the taxpayer to complete and sign Section I.
- If the taxpayer wants you to file their return electronically, both you and the taxpayer must complete Section II.
- Give the completed Form TIS60 to the taxpayer for their records.
- Do not tell the taxpayer to send Form TIS60 to the CRA.
- Do not keep a copy of Form TIS60 or send it to your CRA coordinator.
Record the number of returns you prepare
- Record the number of returns you prepare as a CVITP volunteer. You can use Form T1176, Statistical Summary.
- Advise your community organization of the number of returns you prepared before May 15.
CVITP dedicated line
- For volunteers and community organizations only: 1-866-398-3488
- Call the CVITP dedicated line if you have questions about:
- individual income tax
- EFILE and EFILE error code messages
- the tax preparation software
- Dates of operation: February 15 to May 2, 2016
|Region||Monday to Friday||Saturday|
|All provinces and territories (except Newfoundland and Labrador)||9 a.m. to 9 p.m.||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||9:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.||9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.|
Support for software and EFILE
CVITP guides and forms
- Guide TIS5, Volunteer Handbook (PDF)
- Guide RC266, A Guide for Community Organizations (PDF)
- Guide RC4018, Electronic Filers Manual
- Form TIS60, Taxpayer Authorization
- Form RC320, Application for a Community Volunteer Income Tax Program Computer
- Form T1176, Statistical Summary
- Form T1260, Income Tax and Benefit Return Summary
- Form T1217, Volunteer Training Evaluation
- Aboriginal peoples
- Child and family benefits
- Newcomers to Canada (immigrants)
- Protect yourself against fraud
- Provincial and territorial programs
- Tax credits and deductions for persons with disabilities
- Video series: Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return
For more information
- Direct deposit
- Forms and publications
- General Income Tax and Benefit Guide
- Get ready to file your income tax return
- Video gallery
- Date modified: