SR&ED T661 Claim Form – 2013 Revision – Claim preparer information
Date: October 31, 2013
The March 2013 Federal Budget proposed changes to the Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Program. We have revised the form to include additional prescribed information in respect of SR&ED claim preparers. Therefore, the 2013 version of the Form T661, Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Expenditures Claim, contains new Part 9 – Claim preparer information.
If a claim preparer was engaged in the preparation of the SR&ED claim, the prescribed information in respect of SR&ED claim preparers required to be reported in the new Part 9 includes:
- The name of each claim preparer that has accepted consideration to prepare or assist in the preparation of the SR&ED claim;
- The business number of the claim preparer. For individuals, the Goods and services tax (GST) or Harmonized sales tax (HST) number of the claim preparer must be provided;
- The billing arrangement code for the claim preparer as described in Form T661 Part 9 in the list of Billing arrangement codes;
- The billing rate;
- Any other billing arrangement (if other than those identified under Billing arrangement codes in the T661 Part 9); and
- The total fee paid, payable or expected to pay.
Certification attesting to whether a claim preparer was or was not engaged in any aspect of the preparation of the claim is required. Whether a claim preparer was engaged or not, Part 9 must be signed and dated by the individual, authorized signing officer of the corporation, or authorized partner who has certified that the claim preparer information is complete and accurate.
It is important that Part 9 be completed when submitting your Form T661 (13) SR&ED expenditures claim. A penalty of $1,000 may be assessed in respect of each SR&ED claim for which prescribed information about the claim preparer(s) is missing, incomplete or inaccurate. If a claim preparer has prepared or assisted in the preparation of the claim, the claim preparer will be jointly and severally, or solidarily, liable with the claimant for the penalty. The penalty applies in respect of claims filed on or after the later of January 1, 2014, and the day on which the enacting legislation receives royal assent.
For more information please refer to the 2013 version of the T4088, Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Expenditures Claim – Guide to Form T661.
- Date modified: